Tank Inspection and Testing Schedule
Periodic AST Inspections MONTHLY unless otherwise directed by the engineer in the SPCC plan.
- Performed by site owner/operator
- No need to be certified, just knowledgeable
- Checklist is included in Steel Tank Institute (STI) standard
- Records of inspections must be maintained
Formal External Inspection by certified inspector EVERY TWENTY YEARS
These are documented external inspection conducted by a certified inspector to assess the condition of the AST and determine its suitability for continued service without entry into the AST interior.
- Conducted by Certified Inspector
- Inspector should review previous periodic inspection checklists and previous FEIs/FIIs
- Includes ultrasonic thickness testing (UTT)
- Must determine original shell thickness and establish current shell thickness
- UTT can lead to ultrasonic testing scan (UTS)